Roger Jackson discusses his 10 years of experience in CPG roles at companies such as Unilever and Kraft, and how they inspired him to create Shopper Intelligence, the largest international program of systematic shopper insights today.
"The biggest thing i've learned is It takes loads of time to make something simpler."
Roger Jackson founded Shopper Intelligence, a data and insights company in 2007. After an early career working in big company CPG brand and category management, he set up his own consulting business aged 38, took this to Australia where he was an associate of The Partnering Group, and then based on this work saw the market gap for a new kind of Industry data source. Now back in the UK, Roger has taken SI to 9 countries so far.
Shopper Intelligence has grown into a breakthrough shopper data and insights platform that covers all major categories and retailers. It includes KPIs and benchmarks by country, channel, retailer, category and brand. The data helps CPG clients improve their promotional efficiencies, build persuasive sales and marketing proposals, and inform credible joint plans for growth.
Throughout his journey, Roger has discovered that it takes far more time "to make something simple than it does to make it complicated" and that the key to success is starting with small bits of expertise and aiming them at specific solutions.
Listen to my interview with Roger Jackson, CEO & Founder of Shopper Intelligence, to find out:
- What it takes to build a product-based business.
- His take on the obstacles entrepreneurs face when starting a company.
- His motivation behind leaving the comforts of the CPG corporate world.
- Ways to strategize in a business' early stages.
- Roger's international journey from Australia to the UK, and now globally.
- His perspective of different conditions for the entrepreneurship in different parts of the world.
- Why tenacity is so important for entrepreneurs to succeed.
- His advice to CPGers sho aspire to start their own business.
If you would like to get a "sneak peak" into Shopper Intelligence's data and take advantage of their free data trial, follow this link or reach out to Roger via LinkedIn.
And, as always, if you know other former CPGers who should be interviewed on this podcast, please send them my way!
Other Posts You May Like:
GET In Front of COVID-19 Replanning Crisis
7 TOOLS TO ENABLE CPG MARKETING REMOTE WORK
What Are Shopper Marketing Spending Principles?